Friday, April 21, 2017

On becoming a project lead...

Help! I've been made lead developer/engineering manager for a project/product. What books are going to help me?

Well a wise colleague once told me, "the worst managers have read all the books :-)", the best nugget of wisdom I've heard for a while! And so on that note I would recommend:
  • Adams, S. The Dilbert principle: A cubicle’s-eye view of bosses, meetings, management fads and other workplace afflictions. Pan Macmillan, 2000.
And perhaps
  • Lopp, M. Managing Humans: Biting and Humorous Tales of a Software Engineering Manager. Apress, 2016.

The following more serious minded tomes because I consider them to be part of the core canon of software engineering management literature I would suggest:

  • Brooks Jr., F. P. The Mythical Man-Month : Essays on Software Engineering, anniversary ed. Addison-Wesley Pub. Co., Reading, Mass., 1995.
  • DeMarco, T., and Lister, T. Peopleware: productive projects and teams, 2nd ed. Dorset House Publishing, New York, NY, 1999.

A little more recent (still over a decade old at this stage) but still significant publication worth having on the shelf if only for self-indoctrination would be:
  • Beck, K. Extreme Programming Explained : embrace change. Addison-Wesley, Reading, MA, 2000 (or 2004).